IMAX unveiled their new large-format 3D Digital Camera today with a new featurette that shows how it was used in the upcoming action-packed sequel Transformers: Age of Extinction, which is the first movie to use this revolutionary new camera. IMAX and Paramount Pictures today also released the first photo of Michael Bay on the set of Transformers: Age of Extinction with the IMAX 3D Digital Camera. Take a look at the featurette, which also includes footage from IMAX's Island of Lemurs: Madagascar and Hubble 3D, then read on to learn more about this incredibly lightweight IMAX camera.
As part of IMAX's commitment to innovation and providing leading filmmakers with the highest-quality technology to bring their creative vision to life, the company has developed the world's first fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D camera.
Go behind the scenes with IMAX's camera team in this new featurette to see how IMAX is revolutionizing 3D capture by allowing filmmakers to capture major action scenes as never before. The IMAX 3D Digital Camera will make its big-screen debut in Michael Bay's Transformers: Age of Extinction, which is the first feature film to use this new camera technology.
- IMAX has developed the first fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D camera.
- - The IMAX 3D Digital Camera delivers stunning image quality and is smaller, lighter and easier to use than other 3D digital camera systems on the market.
- - The IMAX 3D Digital Camera is a true 4K stereo camera. This means that both the left eye and right eye images are captured at full 4K resolution.
- - Transformers: Age of Extinction is the first feature film to ever use the new IMAX 3D Digital Camera.
- - Exclusively in IMAX theatres, sequences filmed with the IMAX 3D Digital Cameras will be presented in a 1.9:1 aspect ratio - offering moviegoers 26% more of the image than standard cinemas for a truly immersive IMAX 3D experience.
- - The production team on Transformers: Age of Extinction was able to capture major action sequences of the film - including chase scenes and helicopter shots - in high-resolution 3D in a way that was previously impossible thanks to the compact size of the new cameras.
Here's what Greg Foster, Senior Executive Vice President, IMAX Corp. and CEO of IMAX Entertainment, had to say about the new camera in a statement.
"We're blown away by what Michael Bay has been able to do with our new digital 3D cameras. With Transformers: Age of Extinction, he takes IMAX 3D to the next level - putting moviegoers smack in the middle of the action with the Autobots and Mark Wahlberg as audiences have never seen before."
Hugh Murray, IMAX SVP of Film Production, had this to say in his statement.
"The goal with The IMAX Experience has always been to transport moviegoers into places they've only dreamed of. With the lightweight and compact IMAX 3D Digital Camera, we are providing today's leading filmmakers with the ability to take high-resolution 3D cameras into places they've never been able to before."
About the IMAX 3D Digital Camera
IMAX's fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D camera delivers stunning image quality and is smaller, lighter and easier to use than other 3D digital camera systems on the market.
Exclusively in IMAX theatres, sequences captured with this camera will expand to fill more of the IMAX screen with unprecedented crispness, clarity, color and earth-shattering 3D for a truly immersive experience.