Universal is going to make December 26 a bloody one as it unleashes The Black Dahlia on DVD!
The acclaimed director of Scarface and the best-selling author of "L.A. Confidential" take on the most notorious unsolved murder case in California history in The Black Dahlia, coming to DVD on December 26, 2006 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. An all-star cast, including Josh Hartnett (Sin City, Black Hawk Down), Scarlett Johansson (Lost In Translation, The Prestige), Aaron Eckhart (Erin Brockovich, Thank You For Smoking) and two-time Academy Award® winner Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby, "Boys Don't Cry"), headlines this provocative crime film directed by the modern master of the suspense thriller, Brian De Palma. Written for the screen by Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds) and based on James Ellroy's explosive best-selling novel, the film is inspired by the infamous 1947 killing of aspiring actress Elizabeth Short. The DVD includes over 45 minutes of compelling bonus features that delve deep into the mysteries of the gruesome and fascinating crime that continues to intrigue almost 60 years later. The DVD is priced at $29.98. Preorder close is November 21, 2006.
The Black Dahlia weaves a tale of lust, corruption, greed and depravity around the brutal murder of fledgling Hollywood starlet Elizabeth Short, also known as The Black Dahlia. The film follows a pair of Los Angeles detectives, Lee Blanchard (Aaron Eckhart) and Bucky Bleichert (Josh Hartnett), as they investigate the shocking and gruesome murder that fascinated the nation in 1947 and remains unsolved today. With a corpse so mutilated that photos are kept from the public, the case becomes an obsession for the men, and their lives begin to unravel. Blanchard's relationship with his girlfriend Kay (Scarlett Johansson) is threatened, while Bleichert finds himself drawn to the enigmatic Madeleine (Hilary Swank), a wealthy woman with a dark and twisted connection to the victim.
Cast & Filmmakers:
Director: Brian De Palma
Screenplay By: Josh Friedman
Cast: Josh Hartnett, Scarlett Johansson, Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank, Mia Kirshner, Mike Starr, Fiona Shaw
- Reality and Fiction: The Story of The Black Dahlia -- Sit down with best-selling novelist James Ellroy as he gives his in-depth perspective on the Black Dahlia crime.
- The Case File -- Go behind the scenes to meet the filmmakers, actors and crew who brought an infamous legend to the screen.
- The De Palma Touch -- A special look at Brian De Palma's unique and shocking visual style.
- Run Time: 2 Hours 2 Minutes
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen: 2.35:1; Full Frame: 1.33:1
- Rating: R
- Rating Reason: strong violence, some grisly images, sexual content and language.
- Audio: English and French Audio: Dolby Digital 5.0; Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0
- Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French Subtitles
Dont't forget to also check out: The Black Dahlia