Hello everybody and welcome to the launch of Lights Out Entertainment's DVD DUNGEON!!!
The DVD Dungeon promises to be your number one source for EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything, surrounding those digital video discs that have become so popular over the past few years. With everything from the latest DVD news and rumors to revealing the secrets hidden within so many discs, the Dungeon will soon have you under control. Oh yeah, and don't forget about our super in depth DVD reviews written by guys and gals who know DVDs.
So, let's start this section off right with some of the latest news that's been spinning...
On the technical side of things, February held some interesting news on the successor to DVD. Last month nine leading companies announced a new format called Blue Ray Disc. As many of you know or may not know, DVD discs currently hold 4.7GB. This is about enough to hold an hour and a half worth of "movie". Movies that run longer than this are put on to a 2 layer disc, causing the disc to have to switch layers mid-movie. (That's what that annoying pause was just in case you were wondering.) Well, Blue Ray promises to hold 27GB per disc which is well over the required space to hold a movie even 3.5 hours long! Heck, you could put the whole Star Wars trilogy on one disc!
So, what does this mean for the future of our beloved DVD discs? Not much, except the possible purchase of a Blue Ray Disc player in the far off future, which which will indeed be able to play all of the discs in your collection right now. For the full report click on over to R2-Project. CLICK HERE
Big, big, big news for Lord Of The Rings fans. The rumors have been abundant for a month or so now, but the official site has finally confirmed the details of the 2 different versions of Lord of The Rings coming out on DVD in August and November!
Here's what the first release of Fellowship is offering: (Due on August 6th)
SPECIAL FEATURES (Over two hours of additional content):
3 in-depth programs that reveal the secrets behind the production of this epic adventure, including:
Exclusive online content
On November 12th, New Line will be releasing The Fellowship Of The Ring yet again in a 4 disc special extended edition set! This version is well worth the wait. Some of the exclusive content included in this set will include:
- More time with the Hobbits including a musical number.
- Extra scene further underscores the Hobbits sense of isolation and the growing realization that they can't ignore the outside world for much longer.
- Frodo and Sam POV watching the elves going to the "Undying Land".
- When the Hobbits are sleeping, Frodo is awakened by Aragorn's signing of an elvish tune that foreshadow's his relationship with Arwen.
- More at Rivendell with Aragorn.
- More on the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendel.
- More in the Mines before the cave troll fight.
- Gifting scene ... as the Fellowship leaves, Galadriel gives them each a personalized gift that will end up being critical to their future. Legolas gets a special bow, Sam gets some elvin rope that comes in handy when he faces a giant spider in The Two Towers, and a touching moment between Gimli and Galadriel.
Thanks to IGN for the info.
But wait! That's not all!
Also on November 12th a Fellowship gift set hits store shelves as well. The gift set includes everything the 4 disc set does, but will come packaged in box designed by legendary LOTR illustrator Alan Lee! It will also come with two sculpted statues, game cards, and the National Geographic Documentary on the making of the movie that you've seen floating around at your local DVD store.
If you're a true fan, you buy all three, but if you just love the movie and want all the extras, BUY THE GIFT SET!
Stay tuned for more DVD madness, and welcome to The Dungeon!!!~Brian