In /max-landis-says-chronicle-2-is-moving-along/April, Chronicle writer/creator Max Landis shot down rumors that 20th Century Fox was unhappy with his script ideas for the sequel Chronicle 2, which was originally on the fast track after Chronicle proved to be a success at the box office. Apparently, the studio wanted something that was identical to the first movie, while Landis wanted to take the material in a new, different direction.
"Chronicle 2 is in an interesting place right now. It's moving along. There was this whole announcement that they wanted to just do the same thing again because my father said that. My father is not involved in Chronicle 2. He doesn't know the process. It was not his place to say that. The truth is when you have a movie that was as successful as Chronicle was, it's not as quick of a process. There are a lot more voices coming in and saying 'This is what the sequel should be' because there's a bigger expectation and a bigger fear of failure. And that's really what's going on with Chronicle 2."
Now, Max Landis is admitting that his father was right, for the most part. In a candid series of Tweets, the writer revealed that Fox did want to go in a different direction after all, and that original director Josh Trank was never part of the process, nor was he planning on coming back.
"As of right now, neither Josh or I are on Chronicle 2, so... I've been off Chronicle 2 for months now. Fox had a different direction they wanted to take the series, Josh was never attached. Ultimately, I'm just very grateful to Fox for making a film as close to my original script as Chronicle was. For making the film at all. So yeah it's sad that as of right now I'm not involved in the sequel, and don't know what it's about even, but ultimately I can't complain.
As a screenwriter, I've been incredibly lucky so far. And hell, I start directing my first feature on Monday, so it's like...I don't know. The truth is, when you're successful as a screenwriter, you have to just take everything in stride. That's like more than half the job.
Chronicle 2 is still probably happening, just not with my involvement as of now. It's a bummer, but there are no real hard feelings. They hired new writers on it. I'm sure they'll announce soon. Just hope this answers the questions I've been getting everyday. Basically the message here is: GO SEE Frankenstein and ME HIM HER and when I upload my stupid superman thing in a few days WATCH THAT TOO...Soooooo.......Internet. AM I DEAD TO YOU NOW?"
.@PaulVRea I've been off Chronicle 2 for months now. Fox had a different direction they wanted to take the series, Josh was never attached.— Max Landis (@Uptomyknees) July 18, 2013
Max Landis' next project is Frankenstein for 20th Century Fox. It will be released in 2014.